As we all know prevention is better than cure. Companies need to foster an environment which allows people to function effectively. They can do this by:
- Giving employees a clear remit and sense of purpose
- Facilitating team-building, co-operation and a collaborative culture
- Encouraging defined, boundaried working hours, enabling genuine work/life balance
- Supporting physical wellbeing
- Having open communication channels throughout: with good listening and the giving and receiving of feedback
For the instances when a particular employee needs additional help I believe it is critical to provide one-to-one support tailored to their needs. Verify its success. Identify what improvements to an individual’s wellbeing will make to their contribution and performance, to measure the business impact.
Any initiative that enhances productivity, people skills, time management, engagement, creativity and teamwork should be taken seriously. Looking after employee wellbeing, in the right way, will pay dividends in doing this.